In November 1938, the Legion Hall in Decatur was visited by the State Fire Marshall. The building was declared unsafe, condemned, and no further gatherings could be held within the building for the safety of the public. The building had been built in 1927. The community applied for a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant to repair or rebuild the hall. Since the grants could only be awarded for community properties, the American Legion deeded the property to the village. The original building was torn down, beginning in February 1939. Plans for the new building called for a council chamber and a village courtroom, a jail and a public library, as well as an auditorium space with a stage and a ticket counter and cloak room. The new hall was enclosed by August 3, 1939, and was completed on the interior soon after.
Burt County Plaindealer, 27 May 2009.
Project originally submitted by Jill Dolberg on July 24, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE