Victoria Court 1940-1941 WilliamsonPhoto courtesy of Ernest Everett Blevins
The Williamson Housing Authority built the Victoria Court Housing Project with aid from the Federal Housing Authority. The development consists of a complex of seven, two-story brick buildings laid in rows of three providing a central court (now a modern playground). The project still retains the clotheslines behind the apartment units, some of which were are still in use.
The development encompasses the block bounded by Gum Street, West 5th Street, Willow Street, and West 6th Street in what is now called the West Williamson community of Williamson, Mingo, West Virginia.
On November 25, 1940, ground was broken in West Williamson and on Vinson Street for the construction of two projects of low-rent housing.
Victoria Courts was named for Mrs. Victoria Williamson. Mrs. Williamson was the mother of H.T. Williamson, who was a pioneer resident of the community and owned the land on which the project was being constructed. Williamson Terrace was named for W.J. Williamson, the founder of the City of Williamson.
While the work was begin done on the two projects, the tenant selection office opened on April 1, 1941 and applications were accepted for housing. The projects were ready for occupancy on October 1, 1941, and both had complete occupancy by February of 1942.“
Sanborn Map Williamson, Mingo County, West Virginia 1932/updated 1943, Sheet 1
Williamson Housing Authority: (http://williamsonha.tenmast.com/AboutUs/MissionHistory/tabid/7798/Default.aspx, accessed February 20, 2018.
Site visit by Ernest Everett Blevins, MFA 17 February 2018
Project originally submitted by Ernest Everett Blevins on February 20, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE