Venable Street looking westChamberlain school to the left. View from 20th (now 49th Street) towards 15th (now 44th Street). Photo: Ernest Everett Blevins, April 7, 2018 © All Rights Reserved
Before November 1936, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) installed sewer lines along Venable Avenue, between 15th and 20th Streets, in the Kanawha City area of Charleston. It appears that work crews left behind such muddy conditions that Chamberlain Junior High (now Elementary) principal complained in a letter to WPA officials.
At the time, the streets were known as 15th (now 44th Street) and 20th (now 49th Street). 20th Street was also known as Main Street.
“Kanawha City Area Residents Complain of Muddy Condition,” Charleston Gazette November 10, 1936 p. 11.
Charleston City Directory, 1936, page 632-633.
Project originally submitted by Ernest Everett Blevins on March 16, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE