"Espirito Santo Grant, Old Cuba Road"
“In addition to the public-works projects, Santa Fe also had more than its share of New Deal-financed art and craft projects designed to train young men and women in traditional skills while producing works of art for public buildings. Perhaps the best known of the New Deal art in Santa Fe are the six murals landscapes on canvas affixed to the walls by William Penhallow Henderson in the U.S. District Court building on Federal Place. The old courthouse, built between 1853 and 1889, recently got three more New Deal artworks scenes of Navajo life painted by Warren Rollins for a post office in Gallup but now hanging in the Santa Fe building.” (Sharpe)
These murals were commissioned in 1933 under the PWAP and completed in 1938 under TRAP.
“Espirito Santo Grant, Old Cuba Road”
Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: http://www.newdealartregistry.org/ Tom Sharpe, "New Deal's legacy: The face of New Mexico," The Santa Fe New Mexican, April 6, 2008. http://www.santafetrailnm.org/site176.html
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE