In 1940, the the Works Progress Administration (WPA) installed sewers on Upton Street, Reno Road, and Thirty-Seventh Street in the district’s northwest quadrant.
This work was part of a massive New Deal era program for Washington of sewer construction, separation of sanitary and storm sewers, and sewage treatment at the new Blue Plains facility in order to clean up the badly polluted Anacostia and Potomac Rivers.
“WPA works on 122 miles of D.C. streets,” Washington Post, April 1, 1940, p. 15
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on March 10, 2015.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE