The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a one-lane suspension bridge over the Upper Sacramento River in September 1933 under the supervision of the US Forest Service. It may well have been the first major construction project completed by the CCC in the country.
A plaque next to the bridge notes that Raymond Huber, who supervised the project, was given a plan of a 160-foot suspension bridge but no instructions on how to go about construction; so the crew made its own plans as it went along.
The initial purpose of the bridge was to provide access to the east side of the Sacramento River for fire protection. There is now a modern paved bridge just to the north.
It appears that the bridge was not built by CCC enrollees at Camp Sims (Sims Flat Campground site today), which was established in 1934.
Project originally submitted by Tim Holt on December 22, 2011.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE