The Union Creek Historic District on the upper Rogue River in Union Creek, Oregon, is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places because it is a fine representative of a type of rustic resort popular in the early 20th century and has been little altered since the 1930s.
There are almost one hundred buildings and other facilities in the Union Creek Historic District, almost all of which conform to the Forest Service plans of the 1920s and 30s. Roughly a third were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from 1933 to 1942.
CCC enrollees worked during summer from 1933 to 1942 out of the seasonal Upper Rogue River CCC camp (a Forest Service camp). The camp was located about a quarter-mile south of the Union Creek Resort and just west of Highway 62. None of the original structures remain (it was mostly a tent camp, and any permanent buildings were removed to another place during World War II).
The official number of the camp was F-38 and it housed CCC Companies 1747 and 1993. It seems that later in the decade the camp was transferred to control of the National Park Service, became Camp NP-1 and 2 and housed companies 3864 and 5483.
Elizabeth Gail Throop, Union Creek Historic District Nomination Form, submitted by US Forest Service Regional Office, Portland OR, 1980. Union Creek Historic District Nomination Form
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on June 12, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE