Bureau of Mines Building
The Public Works Administration paid for the construction of the United States Bureau of Mines building on the University of Utah campus in 1939-40. It was designed by Cannon and Mullen architects. The building was demolished recently to make way for the new Frederick Albert Sutton building of the College of Mines & Earth Sciences – or, more specifically, the parking garage for the Sutton complex.
In 1938, the land had been deeded to the U. S. Government by the University of Utah, so a federal facility could be built on the campus. In 1981, the Bureau of Mines property was deeded back to the university, along with the buildings.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee, Joan Greer on December 11, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE