The PWA built two dormitories in 1936 for what was then called the Texas College of Mines and Metallurgy. The two dorms are Benedict and Worrell Halls, both of which are still standing. The school’s newspaper, The Prospector, reported in April 1936 that “Construction started April 15, 1936 on the two PWA allocated dormitories for 102 men and women students,” and that school officials believed the new dormitories would help attract more and stronger students to the school.
"Two Dormitories Built for College of Mines," The Prospector, April 16, 1936, reprinted in The Prospector, September 4, 1984.
Project originally submitted by Susan Kline on January 23, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE