Moore-Hill Residence Hall
Beginning in 1939, the university housed its athletes in Hill Hall. The five story building (including basement) is of Spanish Renaissance style with red roof and tan bricks. The Public Works Administration provided a grant of $46,636 and a loan of $57,000 to cover the cost of construction. When originally opened the building housed 84 men.
Hill Hall is named for Dr. Homer Barksdale Hill of Austin who volunteered to treat UT athletes from 1893 until his death on July 18, 1923.
As its athletic programs grew, the university added Moore Hall in 1955, just south of Hill Hall and connected to it, to house additional male athletes. Now known as Moore-Hill Residence Hall, it is open to the entire student body. The hall went coed in 2005.
http://www.urbanoasis.org/dissertation/Ch%203%20UT%20Austin%20FINAL.pdf http://www.utexas.edu/student/housing/index.php?site=8&scode=0&id=978#name changes
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on January 11, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE