Andrews Residence Hall
The student body of the University of Texas increased from 6,000 in 1920 to 10,000 in 1930, necessitating an extensive building program for the university. The university added Andrews Dormitory for women and Roberts Dormitory for men in 1936. The Public Works Administration provided a grant of $114,000 and a loan of $354,000 for these two buildings of which $239,000 went to build Andrews.
The university named Andrews Dormitory for Jessie Andrews, the first woman to graduate from UT (1886). Andrews was the third dormitory built for women on-campus. It opened in September 1936 to house approximately 118 students. The building is of Spanish Renaissance style architecture with cream bricks and a red tile roof.
Now called Andrews Residence Hall, it currently has a capacity of 132 and became a coed building in 1993.
http://www.urbanoasis.org/dissertation/Ch%203%20UT%20Austin%20FINAL.pdf http://www.utexas.edu/student/housing/index.php?site=1&scode=4&id=118 http://www.utexas.edu/student/housing/index.php?site=8&scode=0&id=978#name changes
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on January 11, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE