Grand Stand"Project #2-B11-3 - Rio Piedras Grand Stand U. of Puerto Rico." National Archives and Records Administration, Record Group 69-N.
The main campus of the University of Puerto Rico was founded in 1903 in Río Piedras. Part of the campus, including the athletic field, was built with the help of the PRRA. “In 1924 the Chicago firm of urbanists Bennett, Parsons and Frost were contacted to design a master plan for the future development of the University. It wasn’t until 1935, with the establishment of the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration (PRRA) and the large sum of federal funds that it invested for public works in Puerto Rico, that the partial design and construction of the so-called Plan Parson began. Under the supervision of architect Rafael Carmoega, a group of local architects designed what is known as “el Cuadrángulo” (the Quadrangle).”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE