University of Maryland
According to WPA records in the National Archives, WPA labor was used in 1935-41 to: “Make improvements at the University of Maryland…by constructing agricultural buildings including barns, silos, storehouses, sheds, and similar structures, and performing appurtenant work; Make improvements at the University of Maryland at College Park…by constructing modern buildings, making additions to and remodeling existing buildings; Construct and improve buildings and facilities at the University of Maryland…includes constructing apiary, cottages, retaining walls, gateways, roads, curbs, parking spaces, and walks; installing plumbing, heating, and electrical facilities, underground electric lines, telephone cables, and campus lights; excavating; backfilling; landscaping; planting; seeding; Construct armory building for the ROTC at the University of Maryland, including installing plumbing, heating and electrical facilities,” and to “Construct horticulture building, barns, corn crib, cottages, machine shed, and implement shed and shop, in the Hopkins Farm Group on the grounds of the University of Maryland. Work includes installing heating, plumbing, and electrical facilities and performing appurtenant and incidental work.”
According to the United States Community Improvement Appraisal, State of Maryland, CCC workers were also used to clear farmlands owned by the university.
National Archives, Record Group 69, “Microfilmed Index to WPA Projects.” United States Community Improvement Appraisal, State of Maryland, Maryland State Planning Commission (1938), pp. 9
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on June 25, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE