“In 1933 the State legislature made it possible for the University of Georgia to secure grants from the P.W.A. with which to carry out an extensive building program to accommodate its increased student body and to replace obsolete equipment. The classroom building is 3 stories and a part basement in height and provides 15 classrooms ranging from a kindergarten through the sixth grade, shops, a model living room with bath, clothing, food and science laboratories, conference rooms, administrative offices, a library, cafeteria, recreation room, and an auditorium with stage.
The area of the building is 20,700 square feet. The construction is semifireproof. Exterior walls are limestone to the second floor level and brick with limestone trim above this. The cornice is wood and the columns are painted metal.
The project was completed in December 1938 at a construction cost of $203,479 and a project cost of $215,880.”
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE