Balch Field House, University of Colorado - Boulder CO
Batch field house was built in 1936 with the aid of the Public Works Administration (PWA). Set against the football stadium, it is part of the larger University of Colorado athletic complex and still actively used for intramural sports.
“The new field house for the University of Colorado is approximately 144 by 296 feet in over-all dimensions. The large hall has an earth floor with a cinder running track 12 laps to the mile, and is provided with a removable wood basketball floor, 60 by 90 feet. Permanent bleachers seat approximately 2,000, and removable bleachers on both sides of the basketball court can seat approximately 1,900. There are 2 handball courts as well. The exterior walls are in random ashlar of native stone. The wood roof covered with tile is supported on steel girders and purlins.” (Short & Stanley-Brown)
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
|122295||University of Colorado|
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown, Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration. Washington, D.C.: USGPO, 1939.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE