“In 1934 University of Arizona President Homer Shantz persuaded Arizona’s governor and state legislature to request funding from the Public Works Administration for a major building program on the university campus. PWA funds supported the construction of numerous buildings, seven of which still stand: the Arizona State Museum, Chemistry, Humanities (CESL), Auditorium (Centennial Hall), Administration (Nugent Hall), and two women’s dormitories (Gila and Yuma Halls). The seven buildings were designed by Tucson architect Roy Place in the Spanish/Italian Romanesque style. They display large, rounded arches over windows and entryways; the masonry façades contain multiple materials of contrasting colors in decorative patterns; and the deep porches are fronted with ornate columns. Place’s buildings are known as some of the most handsome on the UA campus.”
"The New Deal in Arizona: Connections to Our Historic Landscape," University of Arizona, The New Deal in Arizona Chapter of the National New Deal Preservation Association.
The above quote and photos can be found at: http://content.library.arizona.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/NewDeal/id/224
National Register of Historic Places, University of Arizona at Tucson, The University of Arizona Historic Campus District, 1986, (https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/86001254.pdf), accessed December, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE