“Missoula architect C. J. Forbis ushered in a new campus building phase in 1935 with the construction of [what was then the] student union. The building’s placement and modern Art Deco façade broke ranks with the Renaissance Revival style called for in the old Carsley-Gilbert campus master plan. The old plan had contained no such facility, and the new building was sited contrary to the previous symmetrical campus arrangement. Partially funded by Public Works Administration funds so important to the university during the Depression, in concept and form the building provided an architectural statement of renewed vigor and growth. It now serves as the Fine Arts Building.” (wikipedia)
The Big Timber Pioneer newspaper reported in September 1934 that the project was already under construction. By January 1936 the project had been completed at a cost of $280,000.
"Road and Oil Projects Under Way Call for Expenditure of $4,000,000"; Big Timber Pioneer, Sept. 13, 1934, page 1.
"Three Big Ones Finished"; Big Timber Pioneer, Jan. 23, 1936, page 5.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 17, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE