University of Arizona at Tucson Humanities BuildingNational Archives Record Group 69-N
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Humanities Building at the University of Arizona at Tucson. The structure was designed by Roy Place and built in 1935.
A 1986 National Register of Historic Places form describes the formal qualities of the building: “The two story brick classroom building, facing north to North Campus Drive, is in the Italian Romanesque Revival style. The brickwork is English Bond. There is a concrete base with distinct ashlar patterning. There is a recessed entry highlighted by terracotta columns (in-antis) having abstract basket-weave capitals. A triple arch composition over the entry has two terra cotta Corinthianesque columns. Two groupings of three arches to either side of the entrance are two-stories in height with recessed glazed earth tone terracottaspandrelshaving’PuebloDeco1detailing. The arches are articulated with random voussoirs in terra cotta. The windows are steel awning type; second floor windows are arched. The symmetrical facade has blank walled terminal pavilions articulated only with a corbeled arch cornice. A frieze of alternating light (terra cotta) and dark (brick) panels encircles the building below the slightly corbeled cornice. The building is capped with a hip roof of red clay tile.”
National Archives Record Group 69-N
Center for English as Second Language: (https://directory.arizona.edu/buildings/center-english-second-language), accessed on December 22, 2017.
National Register of Historic Places, University of Arizona at Tucson, The University of Arizona Historic Campus District, 1986, (https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/86001254.pdf), accessed December 22, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on December 22, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE