University of Arizona at Tucson, Science BuildingNational Archives Record Group 69-N
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Science Building (today known as the Chemistry Building) at the University of Arizona at Tucson. The structure was designed by Roy Place and built in 1936.
A 1986 National Register of Historic Places form describes the formal qualities of the building: “The Chemistry – Physics Building is a two-story red brick building constructed in the Italian Romanesque Revival style. However, the two main entrances are classical in detail. The building faces north on to the mall. Its walls are constructed in English Bond; there is a concrete base with ashlar markings. There are brick sills and brick corbel cornice. A concrete belt course marks the first floor level. The central portion of the building has a triple arched composition highlighted with concrete arches and Corinthian columns, flanked by the classical entranceway. The entrances, with their pediments and architrave of square recessed panels, are constructed of concrete. Gabled end pavilions have tall arched openings with irregular patter of dark (brick) and light (concrete) voussoirs. The steel awning windows are grouped vertically within the arched recesses and have spandrels of polychromatic brick patterns.”
National Archives Record Group 69-N
Chemistry: (http://directory.arizona.edu/buildings/chemistry), accessed on December 22, 2017.
National Register of Historic Places, University of Arizona at Tucson, The University of Arizona Historic Campus District, 1986, (https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/86001254.pdf), accessed December 22, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on December 22, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE