Union Turnpike at 166th St.
Queens’s Union Turnpike, then an “unimportant stretch less than two miles long,” was developed as a paved, 100-foot-wide artery featuring a four-foot “center mall,” as a large Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in anticipation of the 1939 World’s Fair. Work focused on development of the road from Utopia Parkway east to the Nassau County line.
“This six-and-a-half-mile short-cut,” a $1,250,000 project, was constructed entirely by the WPA. The road was officially dedicated on June 30, 1939.
The New York Times: "NEW NASSAU LINK READY THIS YEAR; Turnpike Laid Out a Decade Ago Will Be Rushed as a Relief Project," April 3, 1938 (pg. 1)
The New York Times: "DEDICATION IS HELD FOR QUEENS ROAD," July 1, 1939 (pg. 34)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 23, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE