Triple Underpass Plaque
The State of Texas chartered the Union Terminal Company on March 16, 1912. The mission of the company was to build a central terminal in Dallas for the seven railroads then serving the city. The company opened the Dallas Union Terminal in October 1916 and was also operating five miles of track within Dallas. At the peak of its usage, as many as eighty trains stopped each day at the station.
In 1936, the Texas Highway Department with funding from the United States Bureau of Public Roads built a triple underpass to separate the grade of the Union Terminal Company track and Elm, Main and Commerce Streets. Railroad employees witnessed the assassination of John F. Kennedy in Dealey Plaza from the bridge on November 22, 1963.
Chris Cravens, "UNION TERMINAL COMPANY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/equ01), accessed September 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association. http://22november1963.org.uk/jfk-assassination-grassy-knoll-witnesses
Project originally submitted by Larry D. Moore on October 27, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE