Union High School, circa 1937
Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the Union High School in Junction City OR.
Excerpt from “A History of Junction City High School”: “In 1934 because the Federal Government was offering Public Works Administration (PWA) grants for consolidation of school districts, the timing was good to merge. In Junction City’s circumstance, the PWA grant would pay for 45% of the $50,000 needed for a new high school. […]
The board organized a bond election on August 10, 1936 to raise funds for the remaining money needed to build and equip the high school. […] In the fall of 1937, Junction City Union High School was opened to 9th-12th grade students. Junction City Union High School served as the new high school for 22 years.”
In 1958 the Junior High grades moved into this building when a new (and present) high school was erected nearby. The junior high grades were active in this building until 1976 when a new junior high school was built. Christ Center Church took ownership of the building and has maintained a presence in this building since that time as a K-12 private Christian school.
A History of Junction City High School: (http://www.junctioncity.k12.or.us/jchs/historyjchs/pageflip2/42963657/pdf/42963657.pdf), accessed September 7, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on September 7, 2018.