EPSON scanner image
The concept of a library in Ulysses was started by the Womans Club in 1914, when Mrs. Beatty suggested the idea. A committee formed to find a location to house the collection of books, and another to form rules and regulations. It formally opened in 1916 in Mr. Hardin’s Drug Store, and was open on Tuesdays and Saturdays. It moved around to various businesses a great deal, and books had to be locked up by necessity. In 1919, the library applied to the township for an appropriation to help defray costs of the operation of the library, and received a board of directors.
By 1932, the library had grown extensively, and their facilities were inadequate. The collection of books could not all be displayed, and there was no room for a reading table. After considering remodeling old buildings, and indeed receiving one as a gift, an application was made to the Civil Works Administration (CWA) for a grant to build a brick building. The project was quickly approved and excavation on the donated site began on January 11, 1934. The building was complete by June 9, 1934, and the library moved into their new $5000.00 facility. Organizations held many benefits in order to help pay for the community’s share of the cost.
Ulysses, Nebraska Centennial: 1867 – 1967.
Project originally submitted by Jill Dolberg on July 24, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE