Hilo Federal Building; front from Waianuenue Ave
Designed by Henry O. Whitfield in 1915, the U.S. Post Office and Office Building underwent a large expansion during the New Deal.
“In 1936 the Treasury Department designed two 3-story wing additions for the main (south) side of the building. These were constructed in 1937-38 forming a “U”-shaped peristyle court. These wings have three floors used for office space and contain open circulation balconies on the first and third floors. The exterior walls facing the court contain 2-story columns with doric capitals which support a lanai above. All the roofs are tiled, with ornamental downspouts used in the court. The courtyard, eight steps below the first floor, contains a flag pole, a mosaic-tiled fountain, and two concrete urns. The paved courtyard is opened toward the street. The overall building dimensions are approximately 292′ x 312′.” (NRHP Document)
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. It still houses federal functions and Hilo’s Downtown Station post office.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 6, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE