Construction of new additions to the 1884 US Marine Hospital in Memphis began in 1933, although the majority of the work was completed by WPA crews after 1935 (Van West, 2001, p. 94). Buildings added by WPA were the 3-story neoclassical hospital building, a nurses dormitory, and junior officers quarters (Metal Museum). The hospital closed in 1965 and currently houses the Metal Museum.
Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee’s New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press. History. (n. d.). Metal Museum. Retrieved from http://www.metalmuseum.org/store/pg/218-History.aspx
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 19, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE