Tygart Valley Homesteads – Dailey WV


“The Tygart Valley Homesteads was a project of the Federal Subsistence Homesteads Corporation, created by the Roosevelt administration during the Great Depression. The idea was to provide a new start for unemployed farmers, miners, and timber workers. This was one of three resettlement projects in West Virginia, the others being at Arthurdale and Eleanor.

Initial funding in the amount of $675,000 was allocated by Congress on December 21, 1933, to acquire land in the Tygart Valley. A committee of local citizens was organized and, by 1934, land had been acquired at Dailey and Valley Bend, 10 miles south of Elkins. The plan called for the construction of 198 houses, with homesteaders to help build them. They were paid 30 cents an hour plus work credit, which could be applied to the purchase of their houses. There were 1,640 applications from families wanting to occupy the planned houses.

The first houses were ready for occupancy February 11, 1935, and by the end of 1936, 158 houses sheltered 750 people. The houses varied in size from four to six rooms, and each had from 0.9 to 2.8 acres of land. Their outbuildings included a combination garage, chicken coop, feed room, coal bin, and cellar. Ultimately, 202 houses were built or purchased and incorporated into the project.

A general supply building, a weaving center, an auto repair garage and filling station, a potato storage shed, and limestone quarry were constructed. The main industrial project was a large wood mill erected in 1937, now operated by Coastal Lumber Company. A cooperative farm, cannery, and store operated briefly. The large stone trade center building, including a bakery, restaurant, general store, barber and beauty shop, shoe repair shop, post office, and auditorium, was completed in 1937. A modern brick school building began serving the children of the homesteaders in 1939.

Eleanor Roosevelt, assisted by Congressman Jennings Randolph, promoted the homestead movement in the Tygart Valley and elsewhere. From 1934 to 1940, she made four visits to the Tygart Valley Homesteads.

The onset of World War II had an immediate impact on the settlement. Families moved elsewhere to join the war effort while men of military age left to serve the nation. By 1944, the government began to sell the homes to the settlers, and the large sawmill, trade center building, and industrial operations were soon sold to private businesses. The handsome trade center still stands as a local landmark, along with many houses and other buildings.”

This Article was written by Donald L. Rice (http://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/804)

“Tygart Valley Homesteads Historic District is a national historic district located near Dailey, Randolph County, West Virginia. It encompasses 337 contributing buildings, 3 contributing sites, and 3 contributing structures, associated with a resettlement community established during the Great Depression by the Roosevelt administration. It was the largest of the three resettlement communities in West Virginia, the others being Arthurdale and Eleanor. The first dwellings were constructed in 1934, and the Civilian Conservation Corps built the public water system, draining systems, and culverts. The houses have modest Colonial Revival details and have either a side gable or gambrel roof, referred to as either an “A-Frame” or “Barn House.” Other notable buildings include the Dailey Community Center (1937), gas station (1940), The Homestead School (1939), The East Dailey Bridge (1938), Community Farm, The Warehouse (c. 1935-1936), The Woodworking Shop (c. 1935-1936), and The Weaving Shop (c. 1934).[2]

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.[1]


Source notes


We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.


Location Info

Dailey, WV

Coordinates: 38.776944, -79.906944

5 comments on “Tygart Valley Homesteads – Dailey WV

  1. Susan Boettger

    Do you have any pictures of the early Homestead school Tygart Valley Dailey West Virginia 1939

    • Susan, we don’t yet, but we’d love to get some if anyone has any!

    • William Jerow

      The school is still there today. Currently it is not being used because of storm damage. It is close to where I live in the summer.

  2. This is true, the school is endanger of closure due to the storm damage and lack of funding from the State to fix it. I am a member of the Tygart Valley Homestead Association. We are working very hard to raise funds to repair the school. We have a website for more information: http://www.tygartvalleyhomesteadassociation.com.

  3. Noah Gilroy

    The Tygart Valley Fire Company was also start in 1941 by her.

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.


We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.