Twin Oaks field house
The field house at Twin Oaks Playground was constructed by the Civil Works Administration (CWA) relief crews in 1933-34.
The playground itself dates to 1920. Originally a “white” playground in Washington’s segregated playground system, Twin Oaks was officially opened to all children in 1953.
The 1-½ story field house follows the Colonial Revival design developed by municipal architect Albert L. Harris after the vernacular Hall-and-Parlor houses of the Tidewater region, a regionally appropriate style that was informal and good for recreation areas.
In 1936, the Washington Post reported that Works Progress Administration (WPA) crews had also done work on the Twin Oaks Playground, though the nature of that work was not specified. The WPA undertook a major program of parks renovation across the district in 1935-36.
Field house is all that visibly remains of the playground. Much of the park has been turned into a community garden.
“Park planners cite D.C. need of playgrounds,” Washington Post, March 29, 1936, p. X7
“Allen-Baker playgrounds debate ends,” Washington Post, September 4, 1936, p. X17
“8,500 to Go Under Banner of C.W.A. Here Next Week.” The Evening Star, Mar. 29, 1934. p. B-1.
Kent Boese, unpublished landmark nomination, to be filed in 2015
Project originally submitted by Kent Boese on February 19, 2015.
Additional contributions by Brent McKee.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE