CCC-built "seed house"CCC-built "seed house" at Tusayan Ranger Station
Several structures along Lincoln Log Loop in the Tusuyan Ranger Station complex were originally constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
“The Tusayan Ranger Station is one of the most historically-intact Forest Service administration complexes in Arizona. Six buildings were constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees from the Grand Canyon camp, NP2A, between 1939 and 1942. They include a residence and associated shed, office, barn and corral, garage, and seed shed. Designed in the National Park Service Rustic architecture style, the buildings are sheathed in a masonry veneer of red sandstone cut from a nearby quarry. The site represents the expanded role of the U.S. Forest Service and the need for more active management of the timbered forests in Arizona.” (Arizona.edu)
The six buildings are still extant and in use. They are each identified in the photographs on this page.
Arizona Chapter of the National New Deal Preservation Association (NNDPA), "The New Deal in Arizona: Connections to Our Historic Landscape." University of Arizona library online collection, 2012. http://content.library.arizona.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/NewDeal/id/179/rec/46 (accessed April 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 26, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE