The Alley Dwelling Authority (ADA) and the Federal Works Agency (FWA) funded the construction of the Tunlaw Road Houses in Washington, DC in 1943. This development of 92 living units was built for white national defense workers (Washington, DC was highly segregated at the time).
According to the web page “Gover Park History,” “The Tunlaw Road Houses were razed in 1954 to make way for construction of 4000 Tunlaw in 1960. “
The ADA was one of the earliest New Deal initiatives to provide better housing for low-income Americans. It replaced unsafe alley dwellings in Washington, DC with more modern and affordable houses and apartments. The ADA existed from 1934-1943 as a federally controlled special authority. It then slowly evolved into today’s DC Housing Authority, an independent agency of the DC Government.
With the advent of World War II, the ADA was enlisted to work alongside the Federal Works Agency (FWA) to provide housing for defense workers (using Lanham Act funds). The Tunlaw Road Houses was one of those projects.
Report of the National Capital Housing Authority, For the Ten-Year Period 1934-1944, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1945, available on Hathitrust (accessed July 14, 2020).
Carlton Fletcher, “Glover Park History” (scroll down to “Tunlaw Terrace”), citing: Hearings before a subcommittee of the Special Committee on Post-war Economic Policy and Planning, United States Senate, Seventy-eight Congress, first session-Seventy-ninth Congress, first session pursuant to S. Res. 102, a resolution creating a Special Committee on Post-war Economic Policy and Planning, February 7, 1945 p. 2106; Washington Post, February 7, 1943, p.R5; December 1, 1951, p.B1; September 24, 1954, p.25. (This web page accessed August 20, 2020.)
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on August 24, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE