Carved entrance doors to visitors center - Tumacácori AZ
The Tumacácori National Monument was set aside by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1908 to protect the ruins of the Mission of San Jose de Tumacacori. In 1918, it came under the administration of the National Park Service and its regional ‘custodian’, Frank Pinkley. Congress created the Tumacácori National Historic Park in 1990, adding the ruins of two nearby missions, Los Santos Angeles de Guevavi and San Cayetano de Calabazas.
Under the park service’s guidance, Tumacácori mission church and its dependencies were stabilized in 1920-21, but intentionally not fully restored. Only with the aid of the New Deal did the park come to take on its present appearance with the addition of surrounding walls, a visitors center and museum in the mission style, and a decorative garden.
Much of the work at the work was done with the help of the New Deal, under several agencies: the Public Works Administration (PWA), Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Civil Works Administration (CWA), and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA).
A notable part of the Tumacácori NHP is the entrance to the visitors’ center, featuring beautiful hand-carved wooden doors – based on those at San Ignacio Mission church in Sonora, Mexico. The doors were carved in 1937 by CCC workers at Camp NM-1 at Bandelier National Monument in New Mexico and installed before the dedication of the new museum and visitors’ center.
Camp NM-1 artisans also made signs for the restrooms and subsequently made furniture for the center, including wooden benches and a cabinet, in traditional mission style.
Nicolas Bleser and Anita Badertscher, The 'New Deal' at Tumacácori National Monument, Tumacácori National Historical Park (NPS), n.d. (pamphlet available at visitor's center)
"The New Deal in Arizona: Connections to Our Historic Landscape," University of Arizona, The New Deal in Arizona Chapter of the National New Deal Preservation Association.
quote can be found at: http://content.library.arizona.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/NewDeal/id/221
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration. (1939).
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on November 22, 2019.
Additional contributions by Joan Greer.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE