Cairo, Illinois’s old (and since-demolished) Marine Hospital was located between 10th and 12th St., Cedar St. and Jefferson Ave. As part of Federal Project F-26: Improving Facilities for Sheltering Transients, the federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) rehabilitated the hospital in 1933-4 “as a shelter for whites and a two-story structure was put in shape to care for colored transients. The work involved the installation of heating and toilet facilities, painting, plastering, glazing, and general repair.”
"Report of the Federal Civil Works Administration for Illinois," Mar. 31, 1934. http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015074882567;view=1up;seq=82 (page 68)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 22, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE