Trail Ridge Store and Cafe - Rocky Mountain National Park CO
In 1935, enrollees in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed a “museum, curios shop and coffee house” at Fall River Pass. Other CCC ‘boys’ came back in 1939 and added an extension to the building for toilets and a water supply (Brock, p. 43).
Today, the building functions as the Trail Ridge Store and Cafe, and a large, new visitor center has been constructed next to it.
The Trail Ridge Store is built of stone and timber, with a shingle roof, in the classic National Park Service Rustic Style.
CCC enrollees were very helpful to the National Park Service as museum guides, as well.
Julia Brock, A History of the CCC in Rocky Mountain National Park. Report to the Rocky Mountain Nature Association and Rocky Mountain National Park, 2005. https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/rmnp/ccc.pdf
Project originally submitted by Joan Greer on August 13, 2022.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE