Old Saybrook, Connecticut’s Town Hall was originally constructed as the town’s Main Street School; its construction was enabled by the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the 1930s.
According to historicbuildingsct.com, a referendum approved the conversion of the historic school building into the town hall in 1999.
The PWA gave the community a grant of $71,511, and the school project cost a total of $159,896. PWA completion documents declare that construction on the building began December 1935; the building was completed the following year.
PWA Docket No. CT 1076.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 2. http://historicbuildingsct.com/?p=6816
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 18, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE