North-and-west-elvs-facing-SE-2008Elida Town Hall, Elida, Roosevelt County, New Mexico
Situated on a grassy square, the Elida Town Hall was constructed in 1939 with WPA financing. The community applied for the project on September 12, 1938, requesting $3,820.49. It was built as a combination village office and fire station. The WPA financed similar consolidated town hall plans in communities throughout New Mexico, including Espanola, Melrose, Belen, Roy, Lovington, Socorro and Taos. It historically had two vehicular bays, of which a third was added to the south later. In 2007, the town hall experienced a major renovation, which changed its roof height and the parapet design of the front facade. Other features of its original Pueblo Revival design were not altered and include wood vigas on the side elevations. It continues to serve as the main governmental office of this small rural ranching community in southeast New Mexico. An inscription scratched into the concrete sidewalk documents the WPA’s participation.
WPA Project File No. 665-85-2-125 Contributor's site visit with Elida town officials, 2008
Project originally submitted by John Murphey on February 23, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE