City of Orchard Town Center EntrancePhoto: Larry D. Moore, August 30, 2018 CC BY-SA 4.0
The City of Orchard Town Center was originally constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) as the Orchard School between 1940 and 1941 under the official project number 65-1-66-2586. Designed by architect Ernest L. Schult, the building had thirteen rooms and a combination auditorium and gymnasium. The WPA employed an average of 78 workers and spent $37,705.08. The Orchard Independent School District provided $64,566.79.
As part of the same project, the WPA demolished the two-story 1924 Orchard High School and reused some of the materials in the new school.
Plaque on Building.
Note cards on historical photographs from the National Archives and Records Administration digitized by the Historic Sites and Structures Program, Texas State Parks (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department):
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/26173056421), accessed September 1, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on September 1, 2018.