Tony Dapolito Recreation Center
Tony Dapolito Recreation Center is located at the northwest corner of 7th Ave. S and Clarkson Street in Manhattan. The large outdoor pool was built by the WPA and designed by Aymar Embury II. The Department of Parks announced the official opening of the new pool and renovated bathhouse on June 10, 1939. The ceremony was attended by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, Alexander MacGregor of the Works Progress Administration and others. The press release described the WPA’s work on the site:
“The new outdoor pool is 50′ x 100′ with a diving pool 50′ x 26′ and will provide much needed bathing facilities for this congested section of Manhattan.
The adjacent bath building, transferred from the Borough President of Manhattan under the new City Charter, has been completely renovated to provide increased recreational facilities. Besides containing men and women’s locker and shower rooms and comfort stations, it also houses on the second floor a largo gymnasium and large play room. On the mezzanine floor there is a running track, while on the roof of the building there is a large fenced-in play area.
…The work in connection with these improvements was planned by the Department of Parks and performed by the Works Progress Administration.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 14, 2014.
Additional contributions by Frank da Cruz.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE