Main entrance at Grove Street
Todd Grove Park is located in Ukiah’s west side, adjacent to the Ukiah Valley Golf Course. The 16.2-acre park is an example of a designed nature/contemplative park updated with more active features. Amenities include groves of mature specimen trees, grass meadows, walking paths, playground equipment, picnicking areas, and a bandstand.
In 1940, WPA work crews built a low, native stone wall around the park’s perimeter. The wall consists of sections of 2’-high, 15”-thick random-course masonry bonded with thick cement mortar joints. At app. 25’ to 28’ intervals the wall is interrupted by 33”-high, 17”x17”-wide stone posts. Concrete stamps denoting “WPA 1940” are placed at intervals on each wall.
A stone gate is located at the end of Grove Street marks the entry to the park. It consists of a bi-leaf wrought-iron vehicular entry, flanked by single-leaf wrought-iron pedestrian entrances. A decorative wrought-iron arch spans the center opening and globe-like wrought-iron fixtures crown each of the outer posts. While the decorative wrought-iron seems atypical of WPA work, the masonry matches the adjacent walls.
A recent newspaper article references a 35-yard “WPA pool.” While the WPA often built pools as part of park improvements, a pool of this vintage was not observed.
Project originally submitted by John Murphey on November 25, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE