Entrance sign, Timpanogos Cave NM - Mt Timpanogos UT
Timpanogos Cave was designated a national monument on October 14, 1922 and was initially developed and maintained by the U.S. Forest Service. The National Park Service took over from the Forest Service in 1933 as part of the Roosevelt Administration’s reorganization of national parks and monuments. Timpanogos NM was administered from Zion NP until 1955.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) sent the first New Deal workforce into the monument for the summer of 1933. The Company 940 established a camp at the site now occupied by the Granite Flat campground.
Mostly notably, CCC enrollees built a new trail to provide better access to the caves high up the mountainside. CCC teams also work on picnic areas, roads, bridges and trails in the national monument (Baldridge, p. 33), but we do not have more specific information on all of those.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) lent a hand in building park structures along American Fork river on Alpine Loop Road. These include the Superintendent’s Residence, a comfort station, and rock work and bridges along Timpanogos Creek.
Timpanogos Cave Historic District, designated in 1982, includes some of the New Deal era structures and trails (NPS 1982)
A new visitor’s center was opened in 2019.
National Park Service, 1982, Nomination form for National Trust for Historical Places, available at: https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/82001760_text.
Wadsworth, Reuben. "Timpanogos Cave: a local treasure where ‘fairyland’ and science meet", Cedar City News, June 17, 2018.https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2018/06/17/raw-timpanogos-cave-day-a-local-treasure-where-fairyland-and-science-meet/
Baldridge, Kenneth. 2019. The Civilian Conservation Corps in Utah. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on April 22, 2014.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE