Tilden Regional Park: Brazilian Room – Berkeley CA

Started:
Completed:
Quality of Information:
Marked:
Site Survival:
View Project in a Separate Window

Description

The Brazilian Room in Tilden Park began as the Brazil Pavilion at the Golden Gate International Exposition on Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay in 1939. The interior wood was used to reconstruct a new building in Tilden Park, using the labor of relief workers in the Works Progress Administration (WPA). It was completed at the present site in 1940 or 1941.

The Berkeley Historical Society recounts the building’s history: “The Brazilian Room derives its name from its rich hardwood paneling. These walls were once part of the Golden Gate International Exposition’s ‘World’s Fair’ famed Brazilian Pavilion, displayed on Treasure Island in 1939. When the exposition ended, the Brazilian Room was presented to the East Bay Regional Park District by the country of Brazil as a gift of friendship. Because the exterior of the building was perishable, the building was dismantled for transport to Tilden Regional Park. The Works Progress Administration built a new permanent exterior, combining local rock and timber with the beautiful walls, floors and fixtures from Brazil.”

This work was part of a major New Deal effort to aid the East Bay Regional Parks District (EBRPD) in improving  its four original parks and making them available for public recreation.  

The Brazilian Room is a very popular venue for weddings and receptions. It has stone terraces and a large lawn area in front that makes it especially attractive for events.

Source notes

Berkeley Historical Society Newsletter, 20:3, Fall 2001.

http://www.brazilianroom.org/history.html

Elbert Vail, The Early Story of the East Bay Regional Parks. Unpublished manuscript, available at East Bay Regional Parks District archives.

Elbert Vail, Progress Report, c 1940, available at East Bay Regional Parks District archives

Elbert Vail, 1940 Master Plan. Oakland CA: East Bay Regional Parks District, 1940, available at East Bay Regional Parks District archives

Amanda Sue Marshall, "WPA and CCC worksites in East Bay Regional Parks," research report for Living New Deal, January 2, 2012.

Mimi Stein, A Vision Achieved:Fifty Years of the East Bay Regional Parks District. Oakland CA: East Bay Regional Parks District, 1984. @ https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=25719

Brechin, Gray. 2008. "Forgotten Foundation". Bay Nature Magazine. January 1.  http://baynature.org/articles/jan-mar-2008/forgotten-foundation

Smith, Harvey. 2014. Berkeley and the New Deal. Charleston SC: Arcadia Books. 

Amanda Sue Marshall, The East Bay Hills: A Brief History.  Charleston SC: The History Press, 2017.

Project originally submitted by Shaina Potts on May 26, 2012.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


Berkeley, CA 94708

Coordinates: 37.89421, -122.2464

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.