This small green space between Riverside Dr., Seaman Ave. and Dyckman St. in Manhattan was “provided with shade trees and benches for passive recreation” by the Department of Parks in October 1936.
Although the press release announcing the completion of this work does not mention the WPA or other New Deal agencies, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were carried out with New Deal funds and/or labor, and that after April 1935, the WPA quickly became the main source of this support.
Department of Parks, Press Release, October 1, 1936 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on October 13, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE