West 3rd Street, facing E, 2014
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed several miles of sidewalk in Lordsburg during the Great Depression. By 1936, they were building on average 4,000’ of sidewalk per month, with the goal of completing 40 blocks. Adhering to WPA rules, only property owners who paid for materials and incidentals benefited from the program. The work was declared by the Lordsburg Liberal on August 16, 1936 “as something that will be of a lasting benefit to the community.”
Third Street sidewalk work was conducted in 1938.
Source: Murphey, John W. “Intensive Level Survey of Downtown Lordsburg.” Hidalgo County Heritage Society, 2014
Project originally submitted by John W. Murphey on January 20, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE