Presbytère, Jackson Square - New Orleans
The former Presbytère or Rectory of the late 18th century St. Louis Cathedral is now part of the Louisiana State Museum complex, along with the old Cabildo Building. The Cabildo flanks St. Louis on the west and the Presbytère on the east, along the north side of Jackson Square along Chartres Street. The Presbytère was begun in 1891 and only finished thirty years later, and never served its intended purpose. It was rented and then sold to the City of New Orleans for use as a courthouse and then transferred to the Louisiana State Museum in 1911 (see plaque).
The Presbytère was restored by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1935-36 (see WPA plaque).
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on May 29, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE