The Hermitage was a plantation operated by enslaved African Americans and owned by president Andrew Jackson from 1804 until 1845. The site is now a historical site and museum.
“In the 1930s, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) donated $70,000 towards repairs and restoration work at The Hermitage. This included the construction of new support buildings, such as a ticket office, a greenhouse, a home for the caretakers and a large pond to fight fires.” (http://thehermitage.com/preservation/)
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE