“The Thackerville School property has three buildings on it. In front of the main school, an old school bell is dedicated to the Thackerville Alumni Association and the original [Works Progress Administration] WPA shield is mounted on the dedication.
“The main present day school is a long building with a centered projection at the back, which is the auditorium. The building has a flat roof, is constructed of brick and has a centered double-door entrance under a gabled porch roof. Windows are one-over-one and there is a row of metal siding along the front beneath the roof line. However, we believe that this may not be the WPA-construction.
“South of this main building is an older looking rectangular building with a hipped roof which has the appearance of being 1940 WPA construction. This building appears to have eight classrooms as seen in the window configuration. The ribbon window units are filled with metal siding, with the exception of a single smaller window.
“To the rear is a barrel-roof building which is the gymnasium. This appears to be WPA construction also. All three buildings are painted gold with blue trim. This is the Thackerville High School.”
Project originally submitted by Sharon Thompson on October 4, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE