West Village HallSource: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/housing/halls/westvillage.php
The Public Works Administration allotted $650,000 to Texas Tech University to build two dormitories, one for men and one for women. $125,000 was a grant and $445,000 was a loan to be paid back over 30 years at 4% interest. Men’s Dormitory No.1 was built in 1934 based on the design of architect Wyatt C. Hedrick and cost $326,713.
The university renamed the building to J. M. West Hall in 1941. Originally housing up to 300 students, West Hall is now an administrative building housing a visitor’s center, undergraduate admissions offices, registrar’s office, student business services and the scholarship and financial aid offices.
Childers, Lorene. "$650,000 of Federal Funds Will be Spent on Two Dormitories: Work is to Start in February". The Toreado, December 7, 1933, p.1.
Texas Tech University Archives
TTU Interactive Campus Map
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on June 10, 2018.