Doak HallSource: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/wstudies/ws_doak.php
The Public Works Administration allotted $650,000 to Texas Tech University to build two dormitories, one for men and one for women. $125,000 was a grant and $445,000 was a loan to be paid back over 30 years at 4% interest. Women’s Dormitory No.1 (later named Doak Hall in honor of Mary W. Doak, Texas Tech’s first Dean of Women) was built in 1934 based on the design of architect Wyatt C. Hedrick and cost $313,168.
Doak Hall housed women until 1943. Men were housed in Doak from 1943 through the 1957-1958 academic years. Later on women were again housed in Doak Hall. Eventually it was changed to a co-ed upper class hall. Freshman men were moved to Doak in the fall of 2002. Currently Doak Hall is home to programs under the Division of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement.
Childers, Lorene. "$650,000 of Federal Funds Will be Spent on Two Dormitories: Work is to Start in February". The Toreado, December 7, 1933, p.1.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on June 10, 2018.