The University of North Texas’s Chilton Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. provided roughly $209,000 for the construction of it and Chilton Hall.
“UNT received PWA grants for two more dorms, one for men and one for women in 1938. The women’s dorm was named Terrill Hall, after the third president, and last president of the private normal, Menter B. Terrill. It was located between Sycamore and Mulberry Streets. The dorm had no cafeteria, residents crossed the street to take their meals at Marquis Hall.”
"Building the New Deal: Federal Construction on College Campuses in 1930s Texas," by Kaitlyn Waynen http://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2015/08/17/public-works-administration-buildings-on-campus/ http://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2016/07/11/early-dorms/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 10, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE