President of the City Council Pomeroy Powers, persuaded the city in 1904 to construct a park along Alvarado Terrace. Originally called Summerland Park, the park was soon renamed Terrace Park. The park included a fish pond, rosebeds, an underground tool shed, and a full-time gardener. The park was later remodeled with only grass and trees. There is a small strip of brick-paved street at the north end of the park known as “Powers Place” that holds the distinction as the “shortest street in Los Angeles.” The park and brick-paved street were declared a Historic-Cultural Monument (HCM #210) in February 1979. By 1983, Terrace Park was suffering from neglect and was described as “so bare it’s hardly recognizable as a park.”
In 1936, the WPA was involved in constructing new walks and curbs.
Board of Park Commissioners 1936-37 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvarado_Terrace_Historic_District#Terrace_Park_and_Powers_Place
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on January 9, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE