A WPA press release from Dec. 1937 announced:
A project, “giving employment to 150 men, will operate in Seattle cleaning up Smith Cove Piers 40 and 41. It is designed to lead the way to the modernization of these two largest piers in the world. The WPA allotted $35,227 to carry on this project.”
Piers 40 and 41 were subsequently renamed. “In 1944, the military instituted a name change for all piers on the waterfront and Smith Cove Piers 40 and 41 became Piers 90 and 91. The property altogether became known as Terminal 91, and included much of what we know of as Terminal 91 today.”
WPA Press Release [#356], Dec. 1937, [page 56]: http://www.sos.wa.gov/legacy/images/publications/SL_wpawapressrelease_no301to400/SL_wpawapressrelease_no301to400.pdf http://www.portseattle100.org/properties/terminal-91
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 28, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE