The Public Works Administration (PWA) was a primary funding source for the construction of the Teaneck Armory.
“Completed in 1936 at a cost of nearly $1 million, the Teaneck Armory — with its 37-foot-high arching roof — has played a valuable role not just in the current war on terrorism, but also during peacetime.
Sitting on 13.66 acres, the brick-and-stone structure was built by Depression-era laborers. They each spent only two days a week on the job because the government stretched the project to keep people employed as long as possible.” (http://www.teaneck.org/)
The WPA was involved in a minor capacity at the site, constructing a pistol and rifle range at the armory. WPA Official Project #265‐1‐22‐37.
Nationwide Context, Inventory, and Heritage Assessment of Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps Resources on Department of Defense Installations, July 2009 (page C-113).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 11, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE